Cajun Shrimp and Chicken Jambalaya from Grand Lux Cafe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp Cajun spice blend, divided
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled, tails removed and deveined
- 3/4 cup thin strips of red, yellow and green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup thin strips of red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tasso ham
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- White rice, for serving
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- While the oil is heating, in a medium bowl, toss the chicken breast with 1 tbsp Cajun spice blend and 1 tbsp flour. Gently toss the chicken until the pieces are evenly coated. Add the coated chicken to the skillet and cook, turning frequently, until the chicken is lightly browned but not completely cooked through. Do not overcrowd the pan. If necessary, cook the chicken in batches and remove from the pan and keep warm.
- While the chicken cooks, in a clean medium bowl, toss the shrimp with 1 teaspoon Cajun spice blend and the remaining teaspoon all-purpose flour. Toss gently until shrimp are evenly coated.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add the shrimp, pepper strips and red onion. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tasso ham, garlic, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add the chicken broth and the remaining teaspoon of the Cajun spice blend. Simmer until vegetables are tender and chicken and shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Just before serving, add the butter and stir into the sauce.
- To serve: Place a portion of rice on two plates. Divide the jambalaya between plates, garnish with parsley and serve immediately. For 2.
Per serving: Per serving: 644 calories (percentage of calories from fat, 39), 75 grams protein, 21 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber, 28 grams total fat (7 grams saturated), 334 mg cholesterol, 2,602 mg of sodium
On the menu at… Grand Lux Cafe, Phipps Plaza, 3500 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta; 404-504-2961, grandluxcafe.com.
Is there a recipe from a restaurant in metro Atlanta that you would like to make at home? Tell us and we’ll try to get it. We will also test it and adapt it to the home kitchen. Due to volume, we cannot accommodate all requests. Send your request, address and telephone number to [email protected] and put “From the menu of” and the name of the restaurant in the subject line.
To exploreMore must-have recipes
To exploreOur Favorite Foods in Atlanta Right Now
Sign up for the AJC Food and Dining newsletter
Read more stories like this by like Atlanta Restaurant Scene on Facebookfollowing @ATLDiningNews on Twitter and @ajcdining on Instagram.