The grand reopening has begun.
It would be the grand reopening of iconic Fort Worth restaurants that had been closed for repairs, relocation or just to rest.
Fred’s Texas Cafe is leading the way, serving burgers now with full service and a menu slated for May 21.
Fixture Kitchen and Nonna Tata will also reopen this week, followed later in May by Lili’s Bistro and the Paris Coffee Shop.
A look at the where, when and why of returning restaurants:
▪ Fred’s Texas Cafe7101 Camp Bowie West Blvd., moved to a new location twice the size of the hole in the wall in the original cultural district known for “Fred Burgers”.
Fred’s is serving burgers and a few menu items now, with the full menu and hours rolling back day after day until the big opening day in two weeks.
New items include a brunch menu with breakfast tacos and new sourdough cookies.
Burgers now come 12 ways, including the 3/ 4-pound Big Fred ($12). The grilled serrano burger and the chipotle “Diablo Burger” are always two favorites.
There’s also a sourdough breaded chicken fried steak ($16 with fries and salad). It comes in three varieties, including one with a pepper-stuffed poblano and another layered with queso blanco and taco meat.
The “new” location is a 50-year-old former Steak & Ale chain restaurant and patio, redecorated with the front room dedicated to memorabilia from the original Fred’s; 817-332-0083 (but not answered yet), fredstexascafe.com.
▪ Kitchen Lighting401 W. Magnolia Ave., was completely renovated and reopened after taking a break while chef Ben Merritt opened his new seafood restaurant Fitzgerald.
Fixture is known for serving brunch every day, and avocado toast is back along with stacked egg steak enchiladas and other brunch dishes Wednesday through Saturday until 3 p.m. and Sunday until ‘at 16 o’clock.
New dinner menu items include a panko-crusted crab and crawfish appetizer, tacos, carnitas flatbread, and “chicken and dumplings” in velvety sauce.
Fixture is now open five days a week, closing Mondays and Tuesdays; 817-708-2663, fixturefw.com.
▪ Nonna Tata1400 W. Magnolia Ave., is set to reopen later this week after a vacation, including an Italian tour with managers in Donatella Trotti’s hometown of Varese.
It is open for dinner from Tuesday to Saturday; 817-332-0250, nonnatata.com.
▪ The parisian cafe704 W. Magnolia Ave., is nearing completion with a year-long remodel and is tentatively scheduled to reopen late next week.
New owner Louis Lambert of Roy Pope grocery store and dutch burgers will mix updated Parisian favorites with added items and stay open later.; 817-945-1702, facebook.com/ParisCoffeeShopftw.
▪ Lili’s bistro1310 W. Magnolia Ave., will reopen May 25 with new menu items and a brighter dining room.
Lili’s, popular for lunch and dinner, has revamped its menu.
Owner Vincent Martin added more memorabilia to accompany its historic mural of Mrs Baird’s Bread, an iconic Texas business founded nearby on Washington Avenue by Ninnie Baird, one of Texas’ first businesswomen.
More to come on Lili’s updates; 817-877-0700, lilisbistro.com.
This story was originally published May 9, 2022 5:45 a.m.